Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Spirituality, Mysticism, and Arts Education


Recently, a colleague and I had a discussion about the euphoria we sometimes experience when musicking (the social interaction of engaging in music).  Joyce teaches music at the secondary level and has been involved in choral ensembles for years.  In fact, she was soon to participate in an upcoming choral event in her hometown in the Midwest later in the month and was bubbling with excitement, anticipating the “high” of pure joy she would experience. 

I described that “high” as part of my Ph.D. dissertation, using other researchers’ terminology:  “interactional synchrony” and “group flow” (Sawyer); “grooving” or “playing good time with somebody” (Monson).  These are terms to describe the emotional response and state of consciousness present when a group of artists is performing at its peak; when each member can anticipate what other performers will do before they do it; when everything flows effortlessly.

In the years since my dissertation, I have gradually shifted my thinking and have reconsidered what Sawyer, Monson, and others have described.   I now see their descriptions and analyses of the phenomenon as superficial and external to the experience itself.  In the Tao Te Ching there is the saying,  “He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know.”  My interpretation is that an individual can intimately experience the phenomenon which is a deep knowing; however, the experience itself is so ineffable that once you try to explain or describe in words, it loses meaning and cheapens the experience.   Therefore, I think researchers (or anyone) can only point to the experience peripherally or metaphorically but cannot truly say what it is.

In my musing, I was reminded of a comment made by a member of my dissertation committee during my oral defense – a comment that now comes to bear on my thinking.  At the tome’s conclusion I wrote:

“I think this study shows that engaging in the arts is about learning to be wide-awake, to imagine possibilities, and to break through the cotton wool of daily life.  Engagement with the arts is about trying on new identities and exerting a sense of agency, and learning how to create through collaboration and negotiation with others.  It is about being human.  In effect, it is the ultimate experience”(p. 330). 

One of the committee professors pronounced that he disagreed with the last sentence.  In his estimation I’d gotten it wrong – the ultimate experience according to him was mysticism.  At the time I was baffled and speechless – it was certainly not a comment I had anticipated, which only furthered my nervousness – until the other committee members chuckled and brushed his comment aside. 

Though the comment was received as a joke by the other professors in the room, it held my curiosity and intrigue.  Mysticism is a personal experience of or union with a supreme being, i.e., a joining of individual spirit with universal spirit.  Through the evolution of my own spiritual quest since that time, I have begun to reframe my understanding of the arts experience and that phenomenon of euphoria we often encounter when musicking.  In other words, I am seriously considering the idea of mysticism that the professor threw out during my oral defense.

Csikszentmihalyi  describes his concept of “flow” as a state of heightened consciousness that occurs in individuals during peak experiences.   Sawyer’s concept of “group flow” involves the entire group as a collective unit rather than within an individual performer.  In both cases, I am beginning to think that during those moments of “flow” there is not just a heightened consciousness but also a shift in consciousness.  That is to say, I am suggesting that during those instances of musicking when we are completely in tune with the music and each other, the ego (i.e., I, me, mine) is pushed aside and spirit is allowed through.  During those moments, time seems to stand still and there is no separation, only complete union; the divine in each of us is connecting not only to Source (universal spirit, God, Creator, Great Mystery, Divine Feminine, etc.) but also to the divine in others through interconnectedness and compassion.  In those moments, we experience deep knowing which is too ineffable for words.  In this way, all the performing and studio arts have the potential of being a spiritual and even a mystical experience.  Additionally, the phenomenon is not all that elusive – my students on the elementary level have experienced it for themselves though they cannot always articulate it.  The closest they have come are the following quotes by former students written in their journals:

“It feels like I am flying when I dance with my heart and soul.”
“When I’m singing it makes me feel better in my heart.  And the same thing dancing.”
“I feel like I want to come out of my shell and shine.”

Once again, an experience of deep knowing which can only be described peripherally or metaphorically, as these young students demonstrate in their writing.

So how does this “slippery slope” of spirituality fit into arts education?  And what effect does discussing spirituality in the context of education have on my credibility as an educator or as an educational researcher?  It is a risk, but one I think important to take.  I am not referring to religion or faith, which are institutional, dogmatic, and creedal and have no business in public education.  And I am certainly not advocating the teaching of divinity in schools. We talk a lot about educating the “whole child” but in reality we focus exclusively on the development of the mind (and in the current climate of reform, I argue it is not even the whole mind).  However, the word “education” derives from the Latin educere, meaning to draw out that which is within, to bring to light what is hidden.  Conversely, the word “instruction” means to infuse, to put something in that is lacking, i.e., imparting of knowledge and information.  Therefore, educate is from within, instruct is from without.

In arts education, instruction of skill development and conceptual understanding are important and crucial (as in any discipline).  However, we must not miss the forest for the trees.  That is, we must continually ask ourselves what is the ultimate purpose of the arts in education?  Why are we teaching those skills and concepts presented in the curriculum?  Is the goal simply one of proficiency?  Or is it one of drawing out the inner spirit and wisdom?  Personally, I think the purpose of the arts in education is for enabling individuals to connect on a deeply human and spiritual level, to experience a deep knowing which words cannot describe.  And that is where I think spirituality fits in arts education – at the center.

Who knows?  Maybe the professor on my dissertation committee knew more than the rest of us imagined.



Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1990).  Flow: The psychology of optimal experience.  New York: HarperCollins Publishers.

Monson, I. (1996). Saying something: Jazz improvisation and interaction.  Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Sawyer, R.K. (2003).  Group creativity: Music, theater, collaboration.  New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.


No comments: